Friday, August 22, 2008

And so it continues...

I was going to title this post 'and so it begins' like I have at the beginning of every other school year when the craziness starts. But after a bit of thought, I began to think that ...and so it continues is more appropriate. Here's the thing...I go into the counseling office...personally, as in...in person...to change and discuss my son's schedule this year. I do believe it is just about perfect...and he too is pleased (Which is quite a feat let me tell you...) Of course he comes home yesterday...with a 'new' schedule...and a note from his 'new' case manager that if I have any schedule questions I am to call her. Ummmm.....no. [pause]

Yesterday as my son went to 4 of his 7 classes he was told he wasn't on the class list. You see, changing his schedule isn't going to work for me... Remember the former post about bullying? well, now my son has 4 classes AND lunch with last year's bully. How could it get any better? Could they put his locker right next to the bully? Could they share a seat on the bus with the bully? Not if I can help it. So...I sent a little very kind email to my son's 'new' case manager last night...in my mind I wrote this...

Dear Dim Wit Case Manager,

Puleeeeeeeeez do not take it upon yourself to change my son's schedule. You see, I carried him for 9 months, birthed him, raised him, and protected him for the past 14 years. I do not appreciate people taking it upon themselves to 'undo' what I have done. In the future, if you are contemplating a change for my precious boy...you're gonna want to contact his slightly neurotic, overprotective mother first. Is that perfectly clear?

Ok, so I didn't write that in the email, but I was quite miffed that he had this extra stress on his first day. Really, was it necessary? If there was a problem, could they have contacted me first? I mean really, I'm on a first name basis with most of the staff...because I'm always so pleasant and definitely NOT a trouble maker ;)

So, checked my email this morning...nothin...I believe school opens in 32 minutes...guess who'll be on the phone...

Just curious...how do other Aspie parents handle these issues? I think I'm pretty well versed with the whole school process, but there are definitely challenges that remain...

No comments: